CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Hi all,

I am having a hard time removing CA automated.
Camera is a Canon A570 IS with conversion lens Nikon FC-E8.
(Connected using a tube adapter and a custom machined Step Down Ring.)

This is what I tried using hugin version 2009.4.0.4742:

tca_correct -o abcv  R_1.JPG
fulla -r 0.0003102:-0.0001850:-0.0011915:1.0011550 -b
0.0006741:-0.0027217:0.0035073:0.9985562 R_1.JPG

Original:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100202/testshots/R/R_1.JPG

Corrected:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100202/testshots/R/R_1_corr.JPG

Result seems not really convincing, compared to this:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100202/testshots/image_001.jpg
PTGui project file used for image above:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100202/testshots/Wim/batch_template_finetuned2.pts

All files (even CHDK-RAW) are available here:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100202/testshots/R/

What is the best way to do this fully automated?

Thanks,
Jan
--
http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Bruno Postle
On Wed 03-Feb-2010 at 20:48 +0100, Jan Martin wrote:

>I am having a hard time removing CA automated.
>Camera is a Canon A570 IS with conversion lens Nikon FC-E8.
>(Connected using a tube adapter and a custom machined Step Down Ring.)
>
>This is what I tried using hugin version 2009.4.0.4742:
>
>tca_correct -o abcv  R_1.JPG

Trying to establish chromatic aberration from JPEG data is not going
to work very well.

Use a TIFF file created directly from RAW.  Try just the 'v'
parameter, then try 'bv' and use whichever looks best.

Bruno

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Thanks,

it's working so far.

Now, how to make tca_correct and fulla work together on a directory of .tiff
files?
I am on Linux.

This works:
ls *.tiff | xargs -I FILE tca_correct -o bv FILE

This not:
ls *.tiff | xargs -I FILE | tca_correct -o bv FILE | fulla FILE

How to pipe?

Thanks,
Jan

--
http://www.DIY-streetview.org

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

joepie1975
Hi Jan,

You only need to do tca_correct on one image. Then use the resulting parameters in fulla on for images. That's much faster, plus there will be no difference in lens distortion between the images.

Regards,

Bert

--- In [hidden email], Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> it's working so far.
>
> Now, how to make tca_correct and fulla work together on a directory of .tiff
> files?
> I am on Linux.
>
> This works:
> ls *.tiff | xargs -I FILE tca_correct -o bv FILE
>
> This not:
> ls *.tiff | xargs -I FILE | tca_correct -o bv FILE | fulla FILE
>
> How to pipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan
>

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
>

> > On Wed 03-Feb-2010 at 20:48 +0100, Jan Martin wrote:
> > >
> > >I am having a hard time removing CA automated.
> > >Camera is a Canon A570 IS with conversion lens Nikon FC-E8.
> > >(Connected using a tube adapter and a custom machined Step Down Ring.)
> > >
> > >This is what I tried using hugin version 2009.4.0.4742:
> > >
> > >tca_correct -o abcv R_1.JPG
> >
> > Trying to establish chromatic aberration from JPEG data is not going
> > to work very well.
> >
> > Use a TIFF file created directly from RAW. Try just the 'v'
> > parameter, then try 'bv' and use whichever looks best.
> >
> > --
> > Bruno
> >

> --
> http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Hi Bert,

yes, I wondered about that.
But short a custom perl file, how to accomplish that by command line?

Thanks,
Jan

On Wed 03-Feb-2010 at 22:12 +0100, Jan Martin wrote:

>Now, how to make tca_correct and fulla work together on a directory of .tiff
>files?

>This not:
>ls *.tiff | xargs -I FILE | tca_correct -o bv FILE | fulla FILE

This isn't going to work, fulla doesn't accept parameters via a
pipe.

It is also not appropriate to determine tca parameters separately
for every photo - It would be incredibly slow, and not all photos
are suitable as input for tca_correct, so you would get a
significant number of failures.

Bruno

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Hi Buno,

which kind of images are suitable for tca_correct?
Which ones are especially good?

Is it OK to reuse the tca_correct results for images, when the camea has
been shut off in between?

Thanks,
Jan

--
http://www.DIY-streetview.org

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

uricogan
On 2/7/10 11:27 AM, Jan Martin wrote:

> which kind of images are suitable for tca_correct?
> Which ones are especially good?

Images that have high-contrast edges, especially near the corners.
> Is it OK to reuse the tca_correct results for images, when the camea has
> been shut off in between?

Yes. CA distortion is a property of the lens optics. it does not change.

--

             Uri Cogan
        http://www.uricogan.com

***   My Karma Ran Over My Dogma   ***

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Uri,

I need to point out that I am using a Canon A570 IS and Nikon FC-E8 lens.
So the cameras lens moves every time it is switched on or off.

The prototype streetview rig looks like this:
http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100207/testshots/streetview_rig.jpg

Also I take circular fisheye images.
So there are no corners:
http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100207/testshots/0003_l.jpg

A few original images for testing:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100207/testshots/20100207_few.zip

Please post your findings and results.

Thanks,
Jan

On 2/7/10 12:06 PM, Jan Martin wrote:
> Uri,
>
> I need to point out that I am using a Canon A570 IS and Nikon FC-E8 lens.
> So the cameras lens moves every time it is switched on or off.

It does not matter one little bit which camera body you use and whether
it moves  or not.

CA (Chromatic Aberration) is a function of the lens design and construction.

> Also I take circular fisheye images.
> So there are no corners:

Look at high contrast elements near the edge of the image. In your
samples, look at the vertical tree branches - you will notice a thin
coloured (red or green or purple) line or lines running down the edge of
the tree: this is chromatic aberration.

I recommend you read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

--

             Uri Cogan
        http://www.uricogan.com

***   My Karma Ran Over My Dogma   ***

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Erik Krause
Administrator

Better read http://wiki.panotools.org/Chromatic_aberration :-)

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

panovrx-2

--- In [hidden email], Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

> A few original images for testing:
> http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20100207/testshots/20100207_few.zip
>
> Please post your findings and results.
>
> Thanks,
> Jan

result:
http://www.mediavr.com/canontest.jpg
with PTGui, separate cropping position for the cropping circle for each lens, fl = 193, a=0, b=0, c=0  -- optimize just yaw, and cropping (d and e) and fov

with 6 control points 3 on each side-- average error for 1800 wide pano = 2.89

optimize with PTOptimizer

if you get rid of the CA I think this will be pretty good

 -- if that camera has a rolling shutter you will have extra stitching errors when the setup is in fast motion maybe

Peter M

Re: CA removal using tca_correct and/or fulla

Jan Martin-2
Gentlemen,

I got it.
Already looking for a motive with "lot(s) of contrast over the entire image
area, little saturated colour and no blown highlights."

Covering 188 degrees.
Suggestions?

Jan

http://wiki.panotools.org/Tca_correct